"The only way of breaking the power of lies, is knowing, and speaking, God's Truth"
Judith MacNutt, Co-Founder, Christian Healing Ministries, Jacksonville, FL
Anxiety and Fear
Intense episode/panic attack
Experiencing an occasional intense episode of fear and anxiety (i.e. panic attack) is totally normal. Again, experiencing an intense episode of fear and anxiety (F&A) is totally normal. Even the Pope experiences them. We know what many of you are thinking: "doesn't the Bible say in numerous places, "BE NOT AFRAID"? While this is true, a correct/proper interpretation of this scripture truth is:
"do not allow an intense episode of fear and anxiety (F & A), to have on-going/continual free-reign, without choosing to making a conscious/gentle effort to:
1) take several slow/deep breaths and focus on the breath
2) Don't resist or try to eliminate the F & A, but, acknowledge, accept, & welcome it. This takes practice and time, we know.
3) gently recall the fact that YOU ARE NOT the unconscious, automatic, unplanned thoughts and feelings that randomly occur, YOU ARE the conscious mind who sees and notices them.
4) gently proclaim God's Truth (ex. Romans 8:28)
5) give the 'care' to God
6) address/handle the body's fearful and anxious/physical sensations in a healthy way
(see Dr. Gail Brenner's video below)
7) go on doing whatever activity you were doing, and be 'ok' with any lingering anxious bodily feelings or sensations
Healing Info Ministries Founder John Patrick, has a new book out titled: Christian Mental Health: From The Pit Of Fear And Darkness, To Love And Light. It's about John's personal journey from fear and anxiety, to healing and restoration. Click here for a link.
We also HIGHLY recommend Dr. Gail Brenner's resources that she makes available on her website, on how to handle fear and anxiety in a healthy/positive way. www.gailbrenner.com
We also recommend the following book "Overcoming Unwanted Intrusive Thoughts", by Dr. Martin Seif and Dr. Sally Winston.